Made with zesty lemon juice and sweetened with dates, these refreshing Lemon Coconut Energy Bites will be gobbled up in no time!
This post is also featured in my Easy Plant Based Breakfast Ideas For 2020 roundup.
I can’t believe I started this blog 6 years ago! It’s cool and scary to think about all the time and energy I’ve spent in the kitchen over the years, initially just learning how to cool entirely plant-based meals for Brett and I and later getting more creative with our meals and snacks. I love that this blog has documented my transition from a new wife making lots of mistakes and taking horrible food photos to who I am now: a new mom who rarely follows needs to follow a recipe.
Even though I was so inexperienced with cooking and blogging when I first went plant-based back in 2013, I did manage to post some pretty delicious recipes that I still make to this day. Sadly, most of those old recipes have been lost in the depths of my blog’s archives and, unless you search for them, will never be made by many of my readers. That’s why I want to re-share some of my old favorites for you guys!
Our energy bite obsession
As many of you know, Brett and I are obsessed with energy bites. We always have a container full of them in the fridge and I always take a batch with us when we travel for hearty snacks. While I love my chocolate and peanut butter-based energy bites, I’ve been meaning to switch up the flavor recently and decided to whip up these old, yet amazing lemon coconut energy bites. Originally when I posted this recipe, I shared them as lemon bars. Nowadays I roll everything into balls as it takes less time and effort. These balls are zesty and sweet and are perfect as we head into springtime. I love that they are sweetened entirely with dates and contain whole grains from the oats and fats from the coconut to keep me satiated.
Other amazing energy bite recipes!
I’d love to know if you give these lemon balls a try! Did you roll them into balls or make lemon bars?If lemon isn’t your thing, definitely check out my other favorite bite and ball recipes below!
Lemon Coconut Energy Bite Photos
- peel of 1 lemon
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats*
- 1 cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
- 1½ cups pitted dates (about 8-10 Medjool dates)
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- Optional: 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Peel your lemon using a vegetable peeler.
- Process the lemon peel, oats and shredded coconut in a food processor until fine.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and process until a sticky dough forms. You may have to stop and scrape down the sides of your processor occasionally.
- Using damp hands, roll the dough into balls.
- Store the balls in an airtight container in the fridge. If desired, removed the balls from the fridge a bit before serving, allowing them to soften.
- Alternatively, you can press the dough into a parchment paper lined baking dish and, after chilling, cut the dough into bars.
*Use certified gluten-free oats if gluten-free
Nutrition InformationYield 15 Serving Size 1 bite
Amount Per Serving Calories 119Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 0mgSodium 4mgCarbohydrates 17gNet Carbohydrates 0gFiber 3gSugar 10gSugar Alcohols 0gProtein 2g
Nutrition information is a rough estimate provided by Nutrionix and should be used for informational purposes only.