Made with minimal ingredients and infused with lemon zest, this Easy Vegan Lemon Scone Recipe is a delicious and easy breakfast or afternoon tea treat!
Also Featured In
This recipe is also featured in the following vegan recipe roundups:
Did you guys get up in the middle of the night to watch the royal wedding back in May? Well, I didn't. I actually didn't realize it had happened until I saw all the photos and comments on social media the next day.
Getting up in the middle of the night to drink tea and have scones is totally something I'd normally be down for, but when you have a small child, you really start to prioritize sleep over anything else.
But don't worry. A couple weeks later I whipped up this Easy Vegan Lemon Scone Recipe and re-watched the wedding with my sister-in-law while enjoying a lemon scone fresh out of the oven and drinking tea...and trying to calm a fussy baby...and sitting on the floor because my sister-in-law's couch had to be taken in for repairs.
Yeah, it was really classy.
Vegan Lemon Scones
But gosh, these Easy Vegan Lemon Scones reminded me of how much I LOVE scones. Scones may be one of my all-time favorite baked goods and I have so many fun memories with scones. The day after Brett and I got engaged, we actually enjoyed some Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Scones while sipping Starbucks via coffee beside a river in Orlando, Florida. He had taken me on a kayaking trip and we woke up early to read and enjoy our first breakfast together as an engaged couple.
Brunch is also one of my favorite meals to host for and if you come to brunch at my house, you can almost always count on me making and serving one of the scone recipes from my blog. One of my all time favorite blog recipes, which is similar to these Easy Vegan Lemon Scones, are my Vegan Orange Chocolate Chip Scones. The combination of chocolate and orange is surprisingly delicious and those scones are always a hit whenever I serve them.
I really hope you guys can give these easy, delicious and zesty Vegan Lemon Scones a try! Please leave a comment down below letting me know what you think and rate the recipe if you give it a try. Even better, snap a photo of the final product and tag @theconscientiouseater on Instagram so I can see your creation! Be sure to share this recipe with others as well!
Easy Vegan Lemon Scone Recipe
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons non-dairy milk
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup coconut oil chilled
- 3 cups flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 400 °F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In a smaller bowl, mix together the non-dairy milk and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and set it aside.
- If your coconut oil isn't hard, measure out ½ cup of coconut oil and place it in the freezer until ready to use.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda and lemon zest. Add in the chilled coconut oil and using a fork, cut the oil into the flour mixture until a coarse meal forms.
- Gradually add the lemon juice and milk mixture to the flour mixture and stir until a moist dough forms. Add more non-dairy milk if necessary to get all the flour to combine into the dough.
- Pour the dough out onto lightly floured work surface and knead the dough briefly.
- Form the dough into 1-inch-thick round. Cut the dough into 8 wedges and then carefully pull the wedges apart and place them on your prepared baking sheet 2 inches apart from each other.
- Bake the scones until the tops of the scones are slightly golden brown, about 18-20 minutes.
- Remove the scones from the oven and allow them to cool for a few minutes while you prepare the lemon glaze.
- To make the lemon glaze, whisk together the ¾ cup of powdered sugar with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Continue adding lemon juice 1 teaspoon at a time until you get a thick, yet spreadable consistency.
- Cover the top of each scone with the lemon glaze until all the glaze has been used up.
- Serve immediately.
Don't forget rate the recipe and leave a review in the comment card!
Do you think I could add blueberries?
Faith VanderMolen says
Oh that would be a delicious combo! Blueberries will add some extra moisture, but I think that would work. Yum!
Hi! Can you use vegan butter in place of coconut oil?
Faith VanderMolen says
Although I haven't tried it myself, I think that should work! Let us know if you try it and how it goes!
These scones were so easy and delicious. I made them with my sister and it was so much fun! Perfect little weekend treat 🙂
Faith VanderMolen says
Oh that makes me so happy! I'm so glad you enjoyed them. They are one of my favorite recipes. And it's so special you got to enjoy them with your sister! Thanks so much for sharing!
So easy and so delicious! I added 2 TBS of poppy seeds to the dry mixture before adding the coconut oil and liquid ingredients. I baked the scones for 20 minutes, then fully cut the scones apart and separated them on the baking sheet and baked for an additional 8 minutes. For the glaze I used 3 TBS lemon juice to 1 cup of powered sugar. I highly recommend drizzling the glaze over the scone. It adds the perfect balance to this delightful treat.
So glad you enjoyed one of my all-time favorite scone recipes Michelle! Thanks so much for sharing! If you have a change to leave a 5 star rating that would be so helpful!
I LOVE scones so much Faith. They are such a yummy hearty baked good that pop with so much flavor and texture. That's so sweet that they have good memories for you. 🙂
They are one of my favorite foods and I'm sure some of that is due to so many fun memories with them. Thanks Emily!