Did you guys get up in the middle of the night to watch the royal wedding back in May? Well, I didn’t. I actually didn’t realize it had happened until I saw all the photos and comments on social media the next day.
Getting up in the middle of the night to drink tea and have scones is totally something I’d normally be down for, but when you have a small child, you really start to prioritize sleep over anything else.
But don’t worry. A couple weeks later I whipped up this Easy Vegan Lemon Scone Recipe and re-watched the wedding with my sister-in-law while enjoying a lemon scone fresh out of the oven and drinking tea…and trying to calm a fussy baby…and sitting on the floor because my sister-in-law’s couch had to be taken in for repairs.
Yeah, it was really classy.
But gosh, these Easy Vegan Lemon Scones reminded me of how much I LOVE scones. Scones may be one of my all-time favorite baked goods and I have so many fun memories with scones. The day after Brett and I got engaged, we actually enjoyed some Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Scones while sipping Starbucks via coffee beside a river in Orlando, Florida. He had taken me on a kayaking trip and we woke up early to read and enjoy our first breakfast together as an engaged couple.
Brunch is also one of my favorite meals to host for and if you come to brunch at my house, you can almost always count on me making and serving one of the scone recipes from my blog. One of my all time favorite blog recipes, which is similar to these Easy Vegan Lemon Scones, are my Vegan Orange Chocolate Chip Scones. The combination of chocolate and orange is surprisingly delicious and those scones are always a hit whenever I serve them.
I really hope you guys can give these easy, delicious and zesty Vegan Lemon Scones a try! Please leave a comment down below letting me know what you think and rate the recipe if you give it a try. Even better, snap a photo of the final product and tag @theconscientiouseater on Instagram so I can see your creation! Be sure to share this recipe with others as well!
Help The World Eat More Plants!
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons non-dairy milk
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup coconut oil, chilled
- 3 cups flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoon lemon zest
- Lemon Glaze:
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In a smaller bowl, mix together the non-dairy milk and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and set it aside.
- If your coconut oil isn't hard, measure out ½ cup of coconut oil and place it in the freezer until ready to use.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda and lemon zest. Add in the chilled coconut oil and using a fork, cut the oil into the flour mixture until a coarse meal forms.
- Gradually add the lemon juice and milk mixture to the flour mixture and stir until a moist dough forms. Add more non-dairy milk if necessary to get all the flour to combine into the dough.
- Pour the dough out onto lightly floured work surface and knead the dough briefly.
- Form the dough into 1-inch-thick round. Cut the dough into 8 wedges and then carefully pull the wedges apart and place them on your prepared baking sheet 2 inches apart from each other.
- Bake the scones until the tops of the scones are slightly golden brown, about 18-20 minutes.
- Remove the scones from the oven and allow them to cool for a few minutes while you prepare the lemon glaze.
- To make the lemon glaze, whisk together the ¾ cup of powdered sugar with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Continue adding lemon juice 1 teaspoon at a time until you get a thick, yet spreadable consistency.
- Cover the top of each scone with the lemon glaze until all the glaze has been used up.
- Serve immediately.
Don’t forget to leave a comment and rate the recipe down below!