One of the small things I miss most living in China is having fun, cute coffee shops to visit, either to study or go on a date with Brett or one of my girl friends. Thankfully we’ve found one great coffee shop in our city that has decent coffee, a Western feel, and the best fresh juices ever. But coffee shops in America usually have beautiful glass displays full of baked goods and desserts…and I miss that! I especially miss having the option to choose a vegan baked good if I want. Baked goods here in China are nothing like the ones in the west and either way, I can’t read the ingredients to see if they’re vegan or not.
In order to get my baked good fix, I’ve been searching high and low for jumbo muffin pans so that I can make my own bakery-sized baked goods at home. Taobao sadly failed me, but thankfully during our time in Japan I was able to find jumbo muffin pans to bring back to China with us. Yay!
Simple things, including massive muffins, really get me excited.
Another thing that gets me super excited is anything lemon flavored. I’m usually a chocolate/peanut butter kind of girl, but for some reason I really enjoy lemon desserts and baked goods. That’s where these Jumbo Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins come in!
Did you guys ever eat the jumbo muffins from Costco? Ah, those things are seriously amazing. I loved the double chocolate, apple streusel and, of course, lemon poppy seed the best. So since I can’t buy them for myself here in China, I’ve decided I need to just create them myself.
These Jumbo Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins got 2 thumbs up from Brett and my friends and they are so fun to enjoy in the morning for breakfast or as an afternoon snack with some tea. They’re made with whole wheat flour and oat flour and don’t have any oil in them, which I love. They’re sweet and moist and hearty.
I’d love to know what you love to order when you go to a coffee shop. Do you stick with black coffee? A latte? Some kind of baked good? Both? Let me know in the comments below!
I hope you can give these Jumbo Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins a try. If you don’t have a jumbo muffin pan you could easily use a normal muffin pan just bake them for less time, about 17-20 minutes. Let me know if you try them out and what you think. Leave a comment down below or take a picture and tag #theconscieniouseater on Instagram so I can see your creation!
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons ground flaxseed + 6 tablespoons water)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup oat flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup non dairy milk
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 375F/190C and grease 6 jumbo muffin cups. Set the muffin pan aside.
- In a small bowl prepare your flax eggs by whisking together 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed and 6 tablespoons of water. Set aside to thicken.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients, from the whole wheat flour to the salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients, from the applesauce to the vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Divide the batter evenly among the 6 prepared jumbo muffin cups.
- Bake the muffins for 22-25 minutes or until slightly golden on top and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool for a few minutes in the pan before removing them and allowing them to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Store in an airtight container for a couple of days.