These zesty and sweet Jumbo Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins are perfect for breakfast or snacks and are made with whole grains!
One of the small things I miss most living in China is having fun, cute coffee shops to visit, either to study or go on a date with Brett or one of my girl friends. Thankfully we’ve found one great coffee shop in our city that has decent coffee, a Western feel, and the best fresh juices ever. But coffee shops in America usually have beautiful glass displays full of baked goods and desserts…and I miss that! I especially miss having the option to choose a vegan baked good if I want. Baked goods here in China are nothing like the ones in the west and either way, I can’t read the ingredients to see if they’re vegan or not.
In order to get my baked good fix, I’ve been searching high and low for jumbo muffin pans so that I can make my own bakery-sized baked goods at home. Taobao sadly failed me, but thankfully during our time in Japan I was able to find jumbo muffin pans to bring back to China with us. Yay!
Simple things, including massive muffins, really get me excited.
Another thing that gets me super excited is anything lemon flavored. I’m usually a chocolate/peanut butter kind of girl, but for some reason I really enjoy lemon desserts and baked goods. That’s where these Jumbo Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins come in!
Did you guys ever eat the jumbo muffins from Costco? Ah, those things are seriously amazing. I loved the double chocolate, apple streusel and, of course, lemon poppy seed was the best. So since I can’t buy them for myself here in China, I’ve decided I need to just create them myself.
These Jumbo Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins got 2 thumbs up from Brett and my friends and they are so fun to enjoy in the morning for breakfast or as an afternoon snack with some tea. They’re made with whole wheat flour and oat flour which I love. They’re sweet and moist and hearty.
I’d love to know what you love to order when you go to a coffee shop. Do you stick with black coffee? A latte? Some kind of baked good? Both? Let me know in the comments below!
Healthy Vegan Muffin Recipes
And in case you love muffins just as much as I do, check out some of my other favorite muffins recipes below:
I hope you can give these Jumbo Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins a try. If you don’t have a jumbo muffin pan you could easily use a normal muffin pan just bake them for less time, about 22 minutes. Let me know if you try them out and what you think. Leave a comment down below or take a picture and tag #theconscieniouseater on Instagram so I can see your creation!
- 6 tablespoons aquafaba*
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup non dairy milk
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- Preheat your oven to 375F/190C and grease 12 muffin cups with cooking spray or line them with silicone muffin liners. Set the muffin pan aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the first 11 ingredients, from the aquafaba to the sea salt. Allow the mixture to foam for 5 minutes. This is the baking soda reacting with the lemon juice.
- Add in the whole wheat flour and oat flour and stir just until combined.
- Lastly, gently fold in the poppy seeds.
- Divide the batter evenly among the 12 standard muffin cups.
- Bake the muffins for 18-20 minutes or until they are slightly golden on top and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool for a few minutes in the pan before removing them and allowing them to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Store the muffins in an airtight container for a couple of days.
*Aquafaba is the liquid from a can of chickpeas
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1 muffin
Amount Per Serving Calories 164Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 0mgSodium 249mgCarbohydrates 26gFiber 2gSugar 12gProtein 3g
Nutrition information is a rough estimate provided by Nutrionix and should be used for informational purposes only.