This zesty, creamy and hearty Avocado Chickpea Salad is the perfect toast topper, dip for veggies, or filling for sandwiches! Think of it as protein-packed guacamole!
Love avocado toast?
Want to add some more plant-based protein to your daily avocado toast?
Then try out this Avocado Chickpea Salad!
Packed with healthy fats from avocado, protein from chickpeas and zest from lemon juice, this mash is the perfect toast, sandwich filling or veggie dip.
Let me walk you through how to make it!
Ingredients You Need for Avocado Chickpea Salad
This recipe doesn't require many ingredients, making it the perfect recipe for a quick breakfast or lunch or even a lazy weeknight dinner!
To make this chickpea salad, you'll need the following ingredients:
- Ripe avocados
- Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Lemon juice
- Salt and Pepper
- Optional: fresh herbs
I like to think of this mash as basically guacamole with some sneaky plant-based protein added to it.
This recipe is really adaptable as well.
Use lime juice instead of lemon juice.
Use white beans instead of chickpeas.
Add in some fresh, chopped herbs.
Oh, or a spoonful of vegan pesto would be amazing in this!
The possibilities are endless!
How to Make Avocado Chickpea Salad
I love to make this with a food processor, but you can always use a fork and some elbow grease.
To make this avocado chickpea salad, simply place all of the ingredients into a food processor and pulse until mostly combined, but not smooth. You want some of the chickpeas to retain their texture. Otherwise you'll end up with hummus!
Taste and add more lemon juice, salt and pepper if needed.
Stir in your fresh herbs if desired, such as cilantro, chives, basil, parsley, etc.!
Spread this chickpea salad on toasted bread or crackers or use it as a dip!
Best Way to Enjoy Chickpea Salad
I've already mentioned a few ways that you can enjoy this protein-packed salad, but I'll make a list here as well to give you some more ideas!
- As a sandwich filling
- On top of toast
- As a dip for veggies and/or crackers
- As a spread for wraps
- On top of a leafy green salad
- Inside of a lettuce cup
Think of this recipe as a vegan version of tuna, chicken or egg salad and use it in the same way!
Best Way to Store Leftover Avocado Chickpea Salad
We all know avocados brown quickly.
For that reason, I love to eat this salad the day I make it if possible.
However, if I still have leftovers, I usually...
- place the leftovers in a container
- spritz some extra lemon or lime juice over the top
- spread a piece of plastic wrap (or reusable film) over the top
- place a lid on top of the container
- store it in the fridge for 1-2 days
More Chickpea Salad Recipes
If avocado isn't you're thing, be sure to check out the other chickpea salad recipes I have on my blog!
This zesty, creamy and hearty Avocado Chickpea Salad is the perfect toast topper, dip for veggies, or spread for sandwiches.
- 1 15 oz. chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 avocados
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: fresh herbs
- In a medium sized bowl, mash the chickpeas until almost all the beans have been mashed, leaving a few whole for texture.
- Add in the avocado, lemon juice, salt, pepper and fresh herbs if using. Mash until everything is combined. Alternatively you can pulse all of the ingredients in a food processor until combined to your liking.
- Taste and add more lemon juice, salt and pepper as needed.
- Spread on toast, sandwiches or use as a dip for veggies and crackers!
*Store in the fridge in an airtight container for about two days.
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 337Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 530mgCarbohydrates: 38gNet Carbohydrates: 0gFiber: 15gSugar: 6gSugar Alcohols: 0gProtein: 11g
Nutrition information is a rough estimate provided by Nutrionix and should be used for informational purposes only.