These mouth-watering vegan lemon blueberry scones add a splash of flavor to the traditional scone that will make these a family favorite!
When visiting friends and family, I never like to come empty-handed! It just feels wrong to enter somebody's house without some kind of dish to contribute.
Scones are one of my favorite dishes to use for this kind of occasion, and for me it's usually a toss-up between my Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Scones and these incredible lemon blueberry scones.
They only take about 35 minutes to prep and bake and I've never had leftovers!
Give them a try and I promise that you'll start getting repeat invitations to people's houses 🙂
- 1 ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup natural cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons earth balance
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In liquid measuring cup, whisk together the almond milk and vinegar together. Set aside for a few minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, sugar, baking powder, salt and lemon zest.
- Using a pastry cutter, cut in the earth balance and applesauce until a course, pebbly mixture forms.
- Add the vanilla extract into the milk mixture and then pour the milk mixture into the dry mixture. Use your hands and mix until just combined.
- Fold in the frozen blueberries.
- Place the dough on the parchment paper and flatten into a circle that is about 1.25 inches thick.
- Cut the circle into 8 wedges and slightly separate.
- Bake for 25-27 minutes or until a fork inserted into the dough comes out clean.For the glaze, stir together the powdered sugar and lemon juice. Add in more juice if the glaze is too thick and more sugar if it is too runny.After the scones have cooled, top them with the glaze and serve!