This 5 ingredient, Whole Wheat No-Yeast No-Rise Vegan Pizza Dough is a quick and easy alternative to take-out pizzas that can be enjoyed any night of the week!
How is everyone? We’re doing pretty good. Some days drag by, but overall I’m learning to cherish these slow, intimate days with my family of three. I know we are living in a weird season of life right now– having to stay indoors and self-isolate–but I hope that the recipes I share during this time are helpful and bring delicious smells and joy to your homes! This whole wheat, no-yeast, no-rise pizza dough (phew, what a name!) is a recipe that I shared on the blog years ago and it has slowly become a reader-favorite. Especially now as I know many people are on a budget or strapped for time having to entertain kids, I hope this quick and easy pizza dough recipe will nourish not only your bodies, but your souls as well!
Ingredients for whole wheat vegan pizza dough
Because homemade pizza is usually so time consuming, most people just opt for take-out or delivery. And I don’t blame them! You get your pizza fix and don’t have to do all the prep or waiting. However, on the other hand, you’re also getting loads more processed ingredients than you would if you made it at home. Oh and grease. We all know about the grease!
In fact, I just googled the ingredients in Domino’s Deep Dish Pizza Crust and found this list:
Enriched Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin Folic Acid), Water, Malt, Sugar, Whey, Malted Barley Flour, Yeast, Soybean Oil. Zzesty Blend: Butter Flavored Oil (Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Soy Lecithin, Artificial And Natural Butter Flavoring, Vitamin A Palmitate And BetaCarotene for Color), Imitation Parmesan Cheese (Water, Modified Food Starch, Casein And Or Caseinate, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Cellulose Powder, Salt, Sodium Phosphates, Stabilizers [Mono And Diglycerides, Guar Gum, Carrageenan], Natural Flavor, Lactic Acid, Sorbic Acid [As A Preservative]), Onion And Garlic, Spices, Salt, Lactic Acid, Butter Flavor, Tomato Powder, Bell Pepper. Dextrose, Citric Acid, Extractive Of Paprika And Lemon And Orange Oil With No Greater Than 2% Calcium Silicate And/Or Soybean Oil Added to Prevent Caking.
Whatever happened to good, ol’ pizza dough made with flour, yeast, water, salt and some spices?
That’s what we’re trying to get back to with this simple recipe. All you need to make this whole wheat, vegan pizza dough is the following:
- Whole wheat flour
- Baking powder
- Non-dairy milk
- Olive oil
That’s it! Plus, I’m sure most of you already have all these ingredients on hand in your pantry or fridge.
How to make pizza dough without yeast
While I’ll always love yeasty pizza dough, I often don’t care to spend a lot of time preparing it. That’s why I love this no-yeast pizza dough! It’s quick and easy and gives you your pizza fix in a fraction of the time. To make pizza dough without yeast, you can simply use baking powder. Baking powder is a leavening agent which will help your pizza dough rise in the oven. No yeast needed!
Substitutions for milk and oil in pizza dough
If you don’t have non-dairy milk on hand or are trying to cut back on oil, then you can substitute the non-dairy milk for water and the olive oil for applesauce. I’ve done both and the crust still turns out well. I think I’ve even used pumpkin purée instead of the oil and it was still delicious!
How to make no-yeast, no-rise pizza dough
Vegan pizza topping ideas
One thing I love about pizza is that you can create all kinds of unique, fun combinations with the toppings. We personally love classic cheese pizza with a marinara base and mozzarella cheese topping, but if you’re getting bored, try out some of the other toppings/combinations listed below!
- Hummus, chickpeas and roasted veggies
- Refried beans, corn and salsa
- BBQ sauce and pulled jackfruit
- Caesar dressing and salad (don’t cook the salad, but add it after the base has baked!)
- Pesto with sautéed peppers and mushrooms
- Buffalo sauce with “chickn” strips and ranch
- Alfredo sauce with asparagus and mushrooms
- Breakfast pizza with tofu scramble and tempeh bacon
How to reheat leftover pizza
If you have leftovers of this pizza–which I doubt you will–I recommend reheating any leftovers in the oven. A microwave works, but usually makes the dough soft and wet. Baking the pizza in the oven allows the crust to get a little crispy and browns the cheese beautifully! Simply place the leftover slices of pizza on a baking sheet and place them in a 350F degree oven for a few minutes until warmed through and the cheese is bubbly!
Other Easy Bread Recipes:
If you’re in need of some other simple bread recipes, be sure to check out the recipes listed below. They are all simple to make and will leave your house smelling amazing!
- No-Knead Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread
- Easy Vegan Pizza Bread
- Easy Vegan Biscuits
- Easy Irish Soda Bread (or Farls!)
- 3 Ingredient Vegan Artisan Bread
- 1 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk, unsweetened (or water)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or unsweetened applesauce)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients then stir in the milk (or water) and oil (or applesauce) until a dough forms. If the dough is too dry add 1-2 teaspoons of water at a time until the dough comes together.
- Knead the dough with your hands about 10 times and then form it into a ball. Cover the dough with a towel and let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
- On a sheet of parchment paper or a non-stick silicone baking mat, roll the dough out into a 12 inch circle or divide the dough in half for two smaller pizzas.
- Poke the dough with a fork and then bake it plain for 8 minutes. Remove the dough from the oven and cover with desired toppings. Return the pizza to the oven and bake 15-22 more minutes, or until the cheese has melted and the dough is cooked to your desired consistency. The amount of baking time will also depend on how thinly you rolled out your pizza dough.
- Slice and enjoy!
*I've tried this dough using both combinations of oil and milk and applesauce and water and liked both!
Nutrition InformationYield 3 Serving Size 2 slices
Amount Per Serving Calories 282Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 3mgSodium 535mgCarbohydrates 41gFiber 6gSugar 2gProtein 8g
Nutrition information is a rough estimate provided by Nutrionix and should be used for informational purposes only.