These Vegan Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies take me straight back to my childhood.
I’m a sucker for traditions–especially holiday traditions–and my parents did a good job of providing so many wonderful memories for us kids through the traditions they instilled in our family. That’s probably what I’m most excited to do with our children–create traditions that draw us closer together as a family.
Every year growing up, my parents would take the whole family to cut down our Christmas tree together. Sometimes we drive 1/2-1 hour away to get to a good Christmas tree farm where we’d be sure to find a beautiful tree. I always looked forward to this family outing because it 1.) got me in the Christmas spirit, 2.) allowed us to enjoy the winter weather together as a family and 3.) meant I would get to eat Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies and drink hot chocolate.
But let’s be honest…I was probably most excited about the cookies and hot chocolate!
After (finally!) agreeing on a tree, cutting it down and strapping it to the top of our van, we would all get to have some cookies and hot chocolate in the car. These treats were always so comforting and special. A few days later, we’d even get to enjoy more cookies while decorating the tree together as a family.
As all of us kids got older, it became harder to continue these traditions together. That’s why I’m so excited for these Vegan Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies, because they’ll be the start of Brett and I starting our own holiday traditions as a family together in China. No, we won’t be cutting down our own tree every year, but we will be able to set up and decorate our fake Christmas tree together. And all while eating these delicious cookies!
What are some of your favorite holiday traditions or memories? I have so many more that I could share, but for now, I’ll leave you with the recipe for these Vegan Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies!
If you end up making these cookies, please leave a comment down below letting me know your thoughts. Even better, share a picture of the finished product on Instagram (tagging #theconscientiouseater) so I can see your creation!
- ½ cup vegan butter
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1¼ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- extra granulated sugar
- 15 squares of dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and grease a baking sheet. Set aside the baking sheet aside.
- Break a dairy-free chocolate bar into squares and set aside.
- In a sauce pan, slowly heat the vegan butter until mostly melted.
- Remove the butter from the heat and stir in the sugar, maple syrup, peanut butter and vanilla until a smooth mixture forms.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until a dough forms.
- Roll the dough into 1½ inch balls and roll the balls in extra sugar.
- Place the balls on your prepared baking pan and bake for 8-10 minutes or until slightly brown around the edges.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and quickly press one square of chocolate into the center of each cookie.
- Allow the cookies to cook for a few minutes before serving.