My mother-in-law introduced me to this simple black bean and corn salad years ago and it has remained a favorite of ours ever since! It's colorful, full of fresh, summer vegetables and satisfying thanks to plant-based protein and fiber.
Plus, the dressing for this salad uses minimal ingredients - just lime juice, cilantro and salt - but creates such a light, flavorful salad. You really can't go wrong with this simple recipe and I hope you guys are able to give it a try this summer!
Ingredients you'll need for black bean and corn salad
This recipe only requires 10 ingredients and a little bit of chopping time. Most of the flavor comes from the natural flavors of the vegetables themselves, but then fresh lime juice, cilantro and salt help to enhance those flavors. If you are a fan of spicy food, be sure to add in some freshly minced jalapeño as well! Below is everything you'll need to make this black bean and corn salad:
- Black beans
- Red bell pepper
- Jalapeño (optional, for spice)
- Lime juice
- Sea salt
How to cut corn off the cob
I know there are a number of fairly mess-free ways to cut corn off the cob, but I'll share with you my favorite method here. Usually, I place a small bowl upside down inside a larger bowl and place my ear of corn vertically on top of the smaller bowl. Then I carefully use a sharp knife to cut off the corn kernels. The larger bowl usually catches all of the kernels so that they don't fly all over my kitchen! Just make sure your corn is sturdily balanced on the smaller bowl so that you can safely cut the kernels off.
Oil-free salad dressing options
I'm not against dressing with oil, but I love that this recipe doesn't need oil in order to be super flavorful and satisfying. For this recipe, the only ingredients you'll need for the dressing are lime juice and sea salt. That's it! Paired with the fresh cilantro and other vegetables, it makes for an amazing, summer salad.
For some other oil-free dressing, check out the recipes below!
How to make black bean and corn salad
There aren't many instructions for making this salad. To start, drain and rinse your black beans. Then chop up the corn, tomatoes, bell pepper and onion and mince the cilantro and jalapeño, if using. Place all of these ingredients into a large mixing bowl and stir well to combine.
Next, add in the lime juice and sea salt and stir well so that all of the vegetables and beans get coated in the juice.
If you have time, chill the salad for a couple hours so that all the flavors can blend together. Then, right before serving, stir in the chopped avocado and add in some black pepper if desired.
More healthy summer salad recipes
If you're loving salad this summer, then be sure to check out the vegan salad recipes below. They are all easy to make, refreshing and delicious!
- Creamy Classic Vegan Potato Salad
- Cilantro Lemon Quinoa Salad
- The Best Buffalo Chickpea Salad
- Trader Joe's Spicy Peanut Cruciferous Salad
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 ear of fresh corn, cut off the cob (~11 oz.)
- 2 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- ⅓ cup chopped red onion
- ⅓ cup fresh cilantro, minced
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh jalapeño, minced (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 avocado, cubed
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the black beans and vegetables, from the corn to the cilantro, leaving aside the avocado.
- Sprinkle over the lime juice and sea salt and stir everything to combine.
- If you have time, cover the bowl and place it in the fridge for at least two hours to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Right before serving add in the chopped avocado. Adding the avocado right before serving keeps it from browning.
Leftover will keep in the refrigerator in a covered container for a couple days.
Prep time does not include marinating time.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 180Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 0mgSodium 332mgCarbohydrates 27gFiber 10gSugar 4gProtein 8g
Nutrition information is a rough estimate provided by Nutrionix and should be used for informational purposes only.