Enjoy vegan chocolate baked oatmeal for breakfast with this hearty, naturally sweetened brownie batter oatmeal recipe!
It's no surprise at this point how much our family loves baked oatmeal.
I've shared plethora of vegan baked oatmeal recipes on the blog over the years.
Some of our personal favorites, if you're interested, include:
- Peanut Butter Banana Baked Oatmeal,
- Zucchini Bread Baked Oatmeal, and
- Make-Ahead Carrot Cake Baked Oatmeal.
However, my all-time favorite baked oatmeal recipe is this Vegan Brownie Batter Chocolate Baked Oatmeal!
Chocolate and oatmeal for breakfast?!
Count me in!
Let me show you how to make it.
This brownie batter chocolate baked oatmeal is naturally sweetened with ripe bananas and a touch of maple syrup.
Then the addition of nut butter (I love to use tahini!) adds richness and makes these baked oats extra satiating.
To make this vegan brownie batter baked oatmeal recipe, you'll need the following ingredients:
- Ground flaxseed
- Ripe Bananas
- Cocoa (or cacao) powder
- Nut/seed butter (tahini and cashew butter are my favorite!)
- Maple Syrup
- Vanilla extract
- Baking powder
- Non-dairy milk
- Rolled oats
Whenever I'm in a pinch, I omit the vanilla and cinnamon to save on time. This chocolate baked oatmeal still tastes great!
How to Make Baked Oatmeal
Baked oatmeal really is so easy to make. To make it, you're going to use the same method you use in most baking recipes. You'll first whisk together the wet ingredients before adding in the dry ingredients.
Pour the batter into a baking dish and bake until set.
Let me show you how to make this particular chocolate baked oatmeal recipe:
Step 1: Preheat your oven to 375°F / 190°C and spray an 8x8 baking dish (or 9x9) with cooking spray. Set it aside.
Step 4: Add in the rolled oats and stir to combine.
Step 5: Pour the batter into your greased baking sheet and spread the batter out into an even layer.
Step 6: Bake the oats for 25-30 minutes or until set.
Step 7: Scoop the baked oats into a bowl and top with your favorite toppings. Enjoy warm!
Chocolate baked oatmeal is a great food to meal prep at the start of the week as it stores beautifully in both the fridge and freezer.
To store leftover baked oatmeal in the fridge, simply cut it into squares and put it in an airtight container in the fridge. It should keep for 5-6 days. To reheat the oatmeal, place a square on a microwave safe place and zap it on high until warm.
Alternatively you can store baked oatmeal in the freezer. Cut the oatmeal into serving sizes, wrap each serving in plastic wrap and place the servings into a freezer-friendly zip-lock bag. Place the bag in the freezer. The oatmeal can be frozen for up to 6 months. To thaw a piece, take one of the servings out of the freezer and let it thaw in the fridge overnight. The next day, remove the baked oatmeal from the plastic wrap, place it on a microwave-safe plate and warm it in the microwave until heated through.
We love to top our baked oatmeal with ALL the toppings.
More specifically, we love to pair this chocolate baked oatmeal with some of the following toppings:
- Sliced banana
- Peanut butter (or any nut/seed butter)
- Non-dairy yogurt
- Maple syrup
- Chopped nuts and/or seeds
- Cacao nibs or chocolate chips
Treat yourself for breakfast with this hearty, naturally sweetened Vegan Brownie Batter Chocolate Baked Oatmeal!
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed + 3 tablespoons water)
- 1 cup mashed banana (from 2-3 ripe bananas)
- ⅓ cup cacao powder
- ¼ cup nut butter*
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¾ cups non-dairy milk
- 3 cups old-fashioned oats
- Preheat your oven to 375°F / 190°C.
- Grease a 9-inch cake pan and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed with 3 tablespoons water. Set aside to thicken. This will be your "egg."
- In a mixing bowl, mash your bananas.
- To the bananas, add in the cocoa powder, nut butter, maple syrup, vanilla, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Whisk everything together until a uniform batter forms.
- Next whisk in the non-dairy milk until smooth.
- Add in the 3 cups of old-fashioned rolled oats and stir until combined.
- Pour the batter into your prepared cake pan and bake for about 25-30 minutes or until cooked through.
- Serve warm with more maple syrup, nut butter and non-dairy milk!
Bob's Red Mill Baking Powder
Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls
Sea Salt - Happy Belly (Amazon Brand)
Bob's Red Mill Old Fashioned Regular Rolled Oats
Watkins All Natural Original Gourmet Baking Vanilla, with Pure Vanilla Extract
Organic Maple Syrup
Anthony's Organic Cocoa Powder
Spread The Love NAKED Organic Peanut Butter
Plant Biased: 90+ Easy Plant Based Recipes and Essentials Guide for Beginner's by Faith VanderMolen
Amount Per Serving Calories 358Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 42mgSodium 338mgCarbohydrates 54gFiber 7gSugar 17gProtein 12g
Nutrition information is a rough estimate provided by Nutrionix and should be used for informational purposes only.