Three simple ingredients get transformed into a creamy, flavorful dip with this Easy Guacamole Recipe! We make this recipe every week and it always gets gobbled up!
Also Featured In
This recipe is also featured in the following vegan recipe roundups:
I used to never make my own guacamole.
Making guacamole always intimidated me.
So instead I would just a container of it from the store, only to have it go brown an hour after we opened the container.
However, today I'm here to say that I now make guacamole at home multiple times a week and it couldn't be easier!
Why did I always make guac so complicated when this easy guacamole recipe was just waiting for me.
Now we use it regularly as a dip for Homemade Oil-Free Baked Tortilla Chips or a topping for the BEST Vegan Enchiladas or as a spread for Savory Vegan Breakfast Sandwiches!
Oh and of course this easy guac is a MUST for Vegan Burrito Bowls!
Let me show you how to make it!
This is the area that I had to rethink in order to make homemade guacamole less intimidating.
I always thought guac had to have freshly minced garlic and onions, chopped tomatoes and cilantro in it.
While those additions do make guacamole taste amazing, they aren't necessary.
This easy guacamole recipe requires just 3 ingredients!
- Lime (or lemon) juice
- Salt (or garlic salt)
See! That's it!
How to Know When Avocados Are Ripe
When making homemade guacamole, using ripe avocados definitely enhances the flavor of the guacamole, resulting in a creamier, more flavorful guac.
But, how do you know when avocados are ripe and ready to use?
Use these simple tricks to check when your Hass avocados are ready to use!
- Color: The color of your avocados should be a dark purple color. If they are too green, they aren't ripe enough and will be hard. If they are black, chances are they are overripe and will have brown spots on the inside.
- Firmness: When you press the top of the avocado (the part with the nub) then there should be some give. If it's still hard, then it's not ripe!
- Stem: If you pull off the stem and the color underneath is black, that means the avocado is too ripe and probably bad. If the stem is hard to get off, then the avocado isn't ripe enough. However, if you remove the stem and see green, then it's ready to enjoy!
How to Make Guacamole
This easy guacamole recipe really is, well, easy!
I feel like it doesn't even require instructions! However, just in case, you can follow the step-by-step instructions below:
Step 1: Cut your avocados in half, remove the pit and scoop the flesh into a bowl.
Step 2: Squeeze some lime juice over the avocados and sprinkle them with a hearty pinch of salt.
Step 3: Using a potato masher or a fork, mash the avocados until smooth and creamy.
Step 4: Taste and add more lime juice for zest or salt for saltiness.
How to Store Leftover Guacamole
Sadly, avocados are one of those foods that tend to oxidize and go brown quickly once they are cut open.
I personally like to make just enough guac for one meal and try not to have too many leftovers.
Fresh guac is always the best!
However, if you do have some leftover guacamole, you can store it in an airtight container in the fridge for 1-2 days
Tips for Keeping Leftover Guac from Browning
I like to press some plastic wrap on top of the guac to keep it from going brown. Alternatively, adding an extra squeeze of lime or lemon juice on top will also help it keep its color.
The next day when you go to use it, you may need to scrap off the top layer if it has gone brown. But the underneath part should still be delicious and ready to enjoy!
Best Ways to Enjoy Guacamole
I like to think of guacamole as jazzed up avocado.
So if there is a meal or food you enjoy adding avocado to, chances are you'll enjoy that same food or meal with guacamole!
I'll list out some of our favorite ways to enjoy guacamole below:
- On Vegan Burrito Bowls
- On toasted Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread with Crispy Oven Roasted Chickpeas
- On Savory Vegan Breakfast Sandwiches
- In Vegan Breakfast Burritos
- On Vegan Enchiladas
- On Vegan BLTs
- On Buddha Bowls
- With Oil-Free Baked Tortilla Chips
- With veggie sticks
The possibilities are endless!
Easy Guacamole Recipe
- 4 ripe avocados
- Lime juice to taste*
- Salt to taste**
- Make sure your avocados are ripe and ready to use by using the tips listed in the section above.
- Cut your avocados in half, remove the pit and scoop the flesh into a bowl.
- Squeeze some lime juice over the avocados, staring with the juice from ½ of a lime, and sprinkle them with a hearty pinch of salt.
- Using a potato masher or a fork, mash the avocados until smooth and creamy.
- Taste and add more lime juice for zest or salt for saltiness.
**If you want to add more flavor, use garlic salt instead of the salt.
Please Leave A Star Review In The Recipe Card!