Made with just 6 ingredients and minimal hands-on-time, these salty and flavorful Vegan Taco Tofu Crumbles make for the perfect filling for plant-based tacos, burritos and buddha bowls!
Living with 6 kids and 4 adults in one house means dinners need to be quick and easy!
Lately we’ve been absolutely loving taco night!
We quickly whip up some white rice, simple guacamole, sautéed veggies and these easy, Vegan Taco Tofu Crumbles and dinner is pretty much ready.
However, don’t stop there!
Ingredients You’ll Need for Vegan Tofu Tacos
These seasoned tofu crumbles really are the star of the show when it comes to making tofu tacos at home, so let me show you everything you’ll need to make it!
In addition to some extra firm tofu, you’ll need a little oil, soy sauce and spices to add to the tofu before baking it in the oven. I’ll list out all the ingredients you’ll need below.
- Extra firm tofu
- Olive oil
- Less-sodium soy sauce (or gluten-free soy sauce if needed)
- Smoked paprika
- Sea salt
While those are the ingredients you’ll need to season the tofu, you can’t have tacos without a base and all the fixings! Some of our favorite ingredients to include on taco night are listed below.
- White rice or brown rice
- Tortillas (check out these Homemade Whole Wheat Lightened-Up Tortillas!)
- Shredded lettuce
- Salsa (homemade or store-bought)
- Refried beans (or this Cheesy Vegan Black Bean Dip)
- Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce
- Vegan Sour Cream
- Tortilla chips (for a lighter option, you could make these Homemade Oil-Free Baked Tortilla Chips!)
You can add as many options and toppings as you desire or keep things super simple with just a few items.
How to Make Vegan Taco Tofu Crumbles
While these taco tofu crumbles take about an hour from start to finish, most of that time is hands-off, allowing you to get other things done in the meantime!
- To start, you need to press two blocks of extra firm tofu. I love to use this EZ Tofu Press, but you can also wrap your tofu in a dish cloth and carefully place heavy books on top of them to press out the extra moisture.
- While the tofu is being pressed, preheat your oven to 400F/200C and grease a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the olive oil, soy sauce, spices and a touch more salt.
- After 15 minutes, remove your tofu from the press and crumble it into the marinade. Stir everything well so that each tofu crumble is coated in the sauce.
- Pour the seasoned tofu crumbles onto your baking sheet and spread them out into a single layer.
- Bake the crumbles for about 30-40 minutes, stirring halfway through, until browned and slightly crispy. Taste and add a touch more salt if needed.
- Serve the tofu crumbles warm inside tortillas with all your favorite taco toppings!
I love to use these Vegan Taco Tofu Crumbles to make Vegan Freezer Breakfast Burritos, so be sure to check out that recipe! They also make for a great protein source for vegan burrito bowls and nachos using these Super Simple Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce.
If you make and like this recipe, please be sure to give it a five star rating by clicking on the stars in the recipe card. Then share this recipe with your friends and family!
- 2 blocks extra firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup less-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- Optional: 1/4-1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Drain the two blocks of tofu and place them inside of a tofu press for about 15 minutes. If you don't have a tofu press you can wrap the tofu in dish clothes and carefully place heavy books on top of them to help express some of the extra liquid.
- While the tofu is pressing, preheat your oven to 400F/200C and grease a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Prepare the tofu marinade by whisking together the remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl. Don't add the optional salt until later, if needed.
- Once your tofu has been pressed, use your hands to crumble it into the marinade. Stir everything well to combine, breaking up any large piece of tofu as you go.
- Pour the tofu crumbles onto the greased baking sheet and spread it out into a single layer. Bake the tofu for about 30-40 minutes, stirring halfway through, until browned and slightly crispy in parts.
- Serve warm with all your favorite taco fixings!
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 133Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 0mgSodium 642mgCarbohydrates 2gFiber 1gSugar 1gProtein 12g
Nutrition information is a rough estimate provided by Nutrionix and should be used for informational purposes only.